‘Lydteknisk Laboratorium’ (Danish Acoustical Laboratory), a technological institute for sound was set up in 1941 as one of the first, independent, not-for-profit institutes under the auspices of the Danish Academy of Technical Sciences. The acoustical lab was a result of needs identified not least by professor P.O. Pedersen, principal of the College of Advanced Technology (Technical University of Copenhagen) in conjunction with the Danish Academy of Technical Sciences and government authorities. The aim of the acoustical lab was to undertake scientific based acoustical surveys to promote the technology of sound. The task was to conduct of general nature for society and in specific cases for individuals and industry at large.
Dr. techn. Fritz Ingerslev was from 1945 and for several years director of the lab. Activities undertaken by the acoustical lab over the year have include measurements related to e.g. environmental issues related to airports, roads, train lines, building acoustics.
In 1988 the acoustical lab merged with other acoustical activities at the technological institutes in Copenhagen and Aarhus and changed name to ‘Lydteknisk Institut’ (Acoustical institute). Five year later, in 1993, that institute was merged into DELTA, Danish Electronics, Light and Acoustics, where its activities have since been handled from.